Six steps to create a differentiated lesson
- Follow your intuition, observation and student’s results: where do you find big gaps between student results, readiness, interests and learning needs?;
- Determine which learning goals you want to offer in a differentiated setting;
- Check if you learning environment is powerful enough for ALL students:
a. Is there context?;
b. Is there room for interaction?;
c. Is there enough language support?;
d. Is there enough attention to psycho-social aspects?;
- Determine whether you are going to differentiate in a convergent or divergent way;
- Run through the 5 preconditions of good differentiation;
- Check if this lesson responds to the gaps that you noticed in step 1.
Ready? Go for it!